Friday 10 May 2013

Working on a finished piece

From my initial samples I have developed an idea that I want to create a collar/ draping neck adornment as one of my samples. This differs from my original plan which is not a problem because without that idea I may not have come to this conclusion. 

I have been experimenting with machine stitch, eliminating fabric via melting, beading and embroidery techniques.  It is very time consuming but I was so please with the result of my initial sampling that I wanted to refine and push it further.

For this piece I used my yellow fish print on polyester glazier and started zig-zag stitching with polyester cotton (because it's meltable) to create an outline based on the shapes of fish and fins. I then worked into it with stitch using metallic and standard threads to create a scale like appearance. After this process I used a soldering iron to melt patches away, in turn creating an alternative lace type appearance.  I started to add the sequins and pearls and then I had to pause and play around with placing shapes on the mannequin again.
Trying out shaped piece

Hand Embroidering sequins and beads


Playing around with background prints, it needed to be simple so I decided to leave the matching print as a possibility but focus on the embellishment.  Using an older sample on the right shoulder to get an ideaa of what works.  It needs to be more balanced than this, more symetrical.


I had been experimenting with using second hand crochet in my marbling so I started playing around with using this as a symetrical shape to the other side of my collar. I like the juxtaposing elements of the nearly solid polyester and the lacey crochet, even though they are almost symetrical in shape.




The print as the background here could be too much, will leave as an option and not attach.

I felt the shape of the polyester piece needed something extra so I tried out my seahorse print as an add on. It went on from here.

Slowly creating more balance in the lines
 


Imagining what kind of costume sleeve this could make....mermaid skin!
 
 

I started building up suffolk puffs on the shoulders stuffing them and leaving them flat so as to make the most of their two alternative qualities -of pleats and smoothness.
 




 
Finished Collar

No comments:

Post a Comment