Friday 10 May 2013

Placement and Shape

Been designing various shapes of embellishment that reflect my theme of sea-life and coastal textures, such as scallop-like edged pieces and fish scale surfaces. I have then created the base fabric and started to experiment with shape by pinning pieces onto a mannequin.

I've decided I really like cluster embellishments on shoulders such as suffolk puffs or stiffened fabrics, so that the accessory appears dramatic almost costume like. After experimenting with using printed fabric (representing a shirt) and embellishment on top, I have decided that printed shirt is perhaps suitable as a partner for smaller pieces of decoration but not some of the more sculptural samples.

I also like the effect that an embellishment can create by almost dripping down the front of a garment or draping like a collar-reminds me of my pictures of lime on cliff fronts (see textures at Seaside entry).

The placement of decoration on the back of a garment is also interesting to me, although I think I should focus my concentration on front placements for this project.



















No comments:

Post a Comment