Friday 10 May 2013

Context of my work

After getting my teeth sunk into this project I have found that there are many contexts in which my work fits.  I can imagine the Mer'laidy collar being used in editorial shoots and I would like to look further into setting up some editorial fashion photoshoots using this work, exploring how to go about loaning my work for shoots.

I can also see my work translating well into costume and prop design for example within the burlesque dancing scene bec (hats and masks) because there is a playful theatricality within my pieces.  I am also very interested in pursuing the fashion route, in terms of commercial prints and bespoke creations.  This Summer I want to look for a millinery course in order to gain skills so that I can push my sculptural forms further and into the accessories market.  This would also tie in with creating one off pieces for weddings and special events.  I'm also going to try and learn to cover/ upcycle shoes using print and improving on embroidery techniques.


My work could also step across into the interiors and arts market such as sculpture, bespoke wall coverings and lights/ lamps.

I think my pieces could market from £60 up depending on the size of the piece. The seahorse side of my collar took 5 full days to make not including the development of the print. This piece would obviously have to be sold at a high price in order to get out what I put in. The fact that my pieces would be bespoke and therefore more expensive means that my target customer will be someone looking to spend for that special item such as a bridal party or someone with a higher than average income.

No comments:

Post a Comment