Monday 25 March 2013

Work Placement... Exciting Times!!

Day One


I completed the first 3 days of my placement at the King's Lynn Arts Trust from the 18th-20th.  On day one I was given my brief for the duration of the placement. I was to research surrealism in relation to the upcoming surrealist exhibition of  photographs by Roland Penrose and his wife Lee Miller, as well as surrealism in relation to the schools curriculum.  My task was to use this research to design a document for primary and secondary schools in order to encourage engagement with the exhibition.

The engagement activities involve schools taking part in cross-curricular activities such as creating art and fun surrealist poetry tied in with a half day visit by one of the Trusts involved artists. Liz (the Director of the Trust) suggested that I could be one of these artists which is really exciting, I love the idea of local people becoming more involved with the arts and to be part of this is special.

I also discussed ideas that I have, in terms of career after uni. I am very aware that I want to stay within the designer/artist/maker remit. I want more than anything to sell my work. I am also accutely aware that it is very difficult to sustain an income (at first) by relying solely on this. In order to be able to balance life and design, I would like to become involved with a mixture of projects including arts within the community. I remember Karen Nicol saying that as designers you need to keep your options open in order to succeed.

 Liz has been really encouraging, she told me to stay in touch and that they would love to involve me with upcoming projects, even discussing the possibility of studio space within the arts centre for me!!!

 

Day Two: Introductions


Today Liz introduced me to her ex-husband Brian Falconbridge PPRBS
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/jcamd/research/staff-research/fa/brian-falconbridge.cfm  . He very kindly offered to meet with me for a private tutorial for the following day, I couldn't believe the opportunity to get such interesting and important introductions literally on my doorstep.

I was also introduced to local felt, textile artist Inge-Lise Greaves who gave kindly took me to our local studio space (Greyfriars Artspace) where she rents a studio. It was really insightful to view a working space, as well as to get advice from Inge-Lise on my textile interests.  Her view was that I need to do what I love and the rest will follow.....I will definitely remember this from now on!
http://www.uniquetextiledesign.co.uk/About_Me.html

Inge-Lise's Studio

Day Three

I began to design the favours (accessories) for the Surrealist Soiree which will take place during the exhibition in June. I need to design and create 70 unexpected items for both men and women with a budget of £50. From my research (see surrealism post) on surrealism, I managed to come up with some interesting ideas. I will use frequent surrealist symbolism such as clocks, eyes, fruit and bugs. Later on that day I went shopping to source the materials, it feels good to work on something that I will be dealing with from start to finish.  The next time I'm in, I will be working just on the favours so I need to finish ordering materials and making templates.

Later on that day I had my tutorial with Brian, he was so helpful and it was interesting to speak to someone from such a strong creative teaching background. He objectively looked at my work and helped me to discover research relationships by providing me with historical and modern points of reference for my work, such as Gustave Moreau and Annette Messager (see research). He also suggested I look at Kurt Schwitters in relation to my love of collage. He ended up spending an hour of his own time talking with me, even offering a follow up!  The main thing I got from him was a much needed confidence boost. Brian said that I need to consider what I call "bad work" good work. He pointed out that I will only know what truly works for me by cancelling out the things that don't. 

To Summarize

  • Words and their meanings are an inspiration for my work
  • My enjoyment of layering and collage can reveal as well as cover up- I can take this further
  • I prefer representational art
  • I have a good eye for composition- continue to develop it
  • Surface decoration is key within my drawings, take this through to development stage

No comments:

Post a Comment