Wednesday 27 March 2013

Annette Messager, Recycler and Artist

Annette Messager is a French artist who was born in 1943. Messager is known mainly for her installation work which often incorporates photographs, prints and drawings, and various materials.
Her work is surreal and slightly humorous but comments on the darkside of childhood.

"Stitches, netting, knitting, embroidery and meshes. They are all in my vocabulary. I have written on walls, these writings are difficult, if impossible to read; they are like knitted fabrics, meshes"


Within "the idea of home it is not necessarily the feminine domestic side that interests me. Rather it is the side of the home which is a microcosm, a world in reduction. Let's say that the image of a real home has an attic, all those things that are buried or repressed, like memory in the brain. There is also television, events that enter the home each day, that are interned. I think that what I make is, in fact, very linked to this encapsulation, this isolation"

" I have always used materials that were in the home, colored crayons, cloth, stockings, nets, sewing material, newspaper clippings, everything that arrives into the home and stays."
My Little Effigies-  1988





My Vows- 1988-1991


 Penetration- 1994 - Constructed from Angorra Yarns

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/1995/messager/penetra.html

No comments:

Post a Comment