Wednesday 10 April 2013

Printing Day

Spent some of today in the workshops printing on the sublimation printer.

Materials: Polyester sourced from charity shops including curtain netting.

What worked: the mixture of polyester and some sort of coating on the netting created softer colours which was what I was wanting to achieve. Hand painted dysperse creates better tones for the colours I'm trying to achieve.

What didn't work: the colours weren't what I wanted. Some of them were too acid or murky so I experimented with dysperse dyes from the pot with water enabled the colours to become pastel tones.

As much as I like the literal representations such as fish and teapots, I don't think this ties in with the sculptural, textured feel I want to create in this project. I'm thinking literal representations can be reserved for the embellishments or kept very simple such as a half drop repeat with a simple background. This way it won't be too much with an embellishment. The other direction I'm also thinking of going is sticking with textured prints rather than conversational so that the embellishment flows with the fabric.

Development:

Stitch and bead onto seahorse and shells.

Experiment with burning patterns into the large prints.

Experiment with foils.

Consider placement on shirts.























No comments:

Post a Comment