Monday 14 October 2013

Mister 'Fabulous' Finch

'Storytelling creatures for people who are also a little lost, found and forgotten'…




I absolutely adore the work of the elusive artist who makes under the name of Mister Finch. He creates these mysterious animal characters through fabric sculpture, that seem to come alive under his magical stitching hands. I find his work very emotive, beautiful crying hares, eerie smiling moons, majestic swans. The muted sometimes grubby colours of his art add to the depth of feeling within his pieces. Ink stains in tea and rich jewel colours are included within my favourite pieces, I feel these add to the archaic impression the fabrics give.  His collections have an antique-like preciousness to them.

 I first came across Mister Finch after reading an article in Making magazine, May 2013. This quote has since been imbedded in my own marking during my making processes....

 
...and like Mister Finch I truly believe in magic.
 
 
Mister Finch's inspirations come from nature and he returns to certain ideas again and again.
Flowers, insects and birds, along with fungi regularly make an appearance. 




The artist says of his inspiration 'British folklore is also so beautifully rich in fabulous stories and warnings and never ceases to be at the heart of what I make.  Shape shifting witches, moon gazing hares and a smartly dressed devil ready to invite you to stray from the path.' The fact that narrative is a key theme both during concept development and within materials and processes means that Mister Finch may be interesting to study for my research report.




'Humanizing animals with shoes and clothes is something I’ve always done and I imagine them to come alive at night. Getting dressed and helping an elderly shoemaker or the tired housewife.'

I feel that I can relate to what Mister Finch says about his work. I have always put a story to my work as well as everyday things around me. I can look at an animal in the garden or someone's pet and before I know it, I have a narrative buzzing around my head.



 'It’s a joy to hunt for things for my work…the lost, found and forgotten all have places in what I make.'

.

He uses found materials, such as pre-embroidered fabrics and scraps. The story of the fabric seems to translate into the narrative and seem to combine with his own narratives to create the characters back story.

 'Most of my pieces use recycled materials, not only as an ethical statement, but I believe they add more authenticity and charm. A story sewn in, woven in.  Velvet curtains from an old hotel, a threadbare wedding dress and a vintage apron become birds and beasts, looking for new owners and adventures to have.' 

The materials seem to speak to him and indicate what they want to be made into, rather that using a pre-conceived idea and then choosing fabrics.






http://www.facebook.com/Makingmagazine

http://www.mister-finch.com/portfolio

http://mynameisfinch.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment