Monday 7 October 2013

BA7: Thoughts when Creating Learning Agreement

I have 5 weeks to trial the things that I've been thinking about doing, but haven't yet done, developing what it is that I want to explore as I go.

  • Research
  • Experiment
  • Consider context of own work whilst looking at others

The following 4 weeks.... FOCUS, develop work.

  • Take notes
  • Rigorous reflective pdp
  • Plan
  • Aim

Keep thinking...Am I working as hard as I want to?

Considerations to help me form a learning agreement

Is my work; political, theoretical, institutional, historical, social, personal, geographical, cultural  & Why?

My work is personal. My own thoughts and viewpoints are what goes into creating my designs, I don't see the point in creating if it isn't something I'm enjoying. My drawings are personal to me and my work is developed from this. I also think my work has a very social aspect, I am influenced by what is around me. What people are doing, wearing, eating, where the live. How they live.

What do I do and what is at the core of my work?

Imagination and ideas. Normally literal drawings and collages with my own skew on reality. I like to use 3D embellishments within my work (such as glitter, sequins and buttons).  This could involve editing a pre-existing item, fabric or collaging paper to give it a textural quality and to make it into useful and/or wearable art and design.

Why do I make work?

I make work because it is something I instinctively need to do. My hands need to be busy along with my head. I find drawing relaxing because it mutes my very busy and loud brain. I have always hoarded materials, cardboard, paints etc since I watched Bits N Bobs on tv as a child.  I have always kept things in order to make them useful again. I make work for others to appreciate. I make work to be unique. To make people smile.

What is it for?

For giftwear, accessories (both interior and fashion), for stationary. For kidswear.

What do you gain from doing your work?

A sense of achievement, confidence, developed skills.

What is it about?

My work primarily is about what I find aesthetically pleasing. It is about making people smile. It is about having fun. It is about colour and quirkiness. It is about telling a story.

Who is my audience? Where are they?

I like to think my audience could be anyone interested in owning something special.  Realistically in a marketing sense, my target demographic would be an 18-35 year old woman. She is style conscious, she likes to collect things and shops both on the high street, online and in vintage stores/ fayres. She likes the reward of finding a 'different' item to purchase for herself and/or for others. She loves Paperchase and Pip Studios.

Where does the work go?

I see my work in lots of locations. I don't like the idea of putting myself in a hole. I want to see my work in gift shops, stationary sellers, in independent stores in the high street and online. I want to freelance but ultimately would love my own 'brand' and my name to be associated with my works.

MAKE CONNECTIONS with everything around. Writing, music, dance, history, geography, science.  For ex; interesting narratives in a song, can the methods of its creation be used in my work.

Why bother to find a context?

LEARNING                                        GROWING
ASPIRATIONS                                  MOVING FORWARD


No comments:

Post a Comment