Monday 14 October 2013

Initial Drawings

From my photographs I have been exploring drawing methods and subject matter.

I like the idea of the story of the fairground/ vintage fairground so I did some research on my Pinterest into the old fashioned carousel animals. I am drawn to drawing animals and it seems I need to explore this further.

www.pinterest.com/bethy666

The drawing method I find most productive for me is a layered approach of mixed media such as pen, ink, stitch and bleach. I then like to take this further with stand out, fun elements such as glitter and sequins.

The freehand machine stitch works well as a fluid continuous line within a drawing. It lends itself well to my drawings of the swing because it portrays movement.

The pen continuous line drawing doesn't work as well for me. It looks toot rigid and colouring book like. It lacks the softness of the stitch.

The inks are easily blend-able and I like that they are a bit stronger than watercolour yet can still be softened.

My favourite material to work on is canvas roll as it has the foldable and fragile elements of paper combined with the weave of a fabric, making it strong to both sew and draw on.

Over the holidays I have collected more materials such as WOW glitters which are made of fine dust. This gives the glitter fun appeal without looking as childish!

Now for initial development ...


















No comments:

Post a Comment