Tuesday 19 November 2013

Gustav Klimt and Decoration in my own work

Water Snakes II- 1907
I believe my work has been subconsciously influenced by the symbolist style of Gustav Klimt.  I was always interested in the decorative aspects of his paintings and the rich colours he used with highlights of metallic.  Klimt would use shapes such as circles to represent femininity or squares if the subject matter was masculine. These shapes would then build up to create decorative layers within the painting.
The Kiss- 1907
 

When looking at my own work it is clear I love to decorate. From my drawings where I use metallic ink and glitter through to my samples with sequins and French knots.  I seem to be drawn to using circular details within my own work which is perhaps a subconscious echoing of the femininity of my work.





No comments:

Post a Comment